Friday, November 12, 2010

Quick...someone get me a pitchfork!!!

So my brother-in-law is visiting for a few days.  Its wonderful to see him since we haven't been back to California in a couple of years. 

I know people say this all the time but really...MAN the years go by fast!! If you'd asked me 8 years ago how long I'd be living here in Tulsa, my answer was a very clear "Not real long!"  Absolutely nothing in me wanted to leave California and move out to Oklahoma where, as everyone from California knows,  there's nothing but farms and cows and tornados.

Now there's absolutely nothing that would make me move back to California.  I suppose its all a matter of perspective...you like what you know!

Heck...I've even started giving some thought to getting me one of them farms!

Every year I try to expand my horizons a little.  For the last couple of years I've grown veggies in my back yard...my own little organic farm.  I've got my little compost bin up and running...and NO its not smelly, in case you were wondering! 
This year I desperately wanted to start my own little beehive so I could make my own honey....well ok, so my bees could make me some honey.  But Al vetoed that idea.  Apparently he didn't feel that having a beehive outside our house in the yard where the kids and dogs play all day was a good idea!!  I'm still hopeful I can talk him into it though.
So I'm thinking it would be nice to have a small farm...a couple hundred acres where I can really grow some veggies, maybe have a couple of horses, a cow, some chickens...maybe a goat.  Doesn't that sound neat?!!
I could ride around on my horse and do farm stuff! 

Ok...so I'm not real sure what farm stuff is, but I do so love the show "The Fabulous Beekman Boys" and its totally educational! So if they can do it...surely I can!  

Now...the cow would really just wonder around and do cow stuff cause I'm sure not gonna milk it or anything.  So it really would just be there for decorative purposes...you know farm-like...and to provide the organic fertilizer for my organic veggies! The Als can do that job they're both pretty good at spreading that kinda stuff around!! :)
The goats...well I'm not really sure what goats do, they're farm job is a mystery to me...but with a couple of hundred acres, mama will need some help mowing the grass!! And if I can get them fainting goats...that right there is HOURS of free entertainment...so they'll totally earn their hay!!

Chickens scare me a little...cause they're a little nuts, you never know when they're gonna loose their minds and attack you with their evil little beaks and tiny claws.  But I think I can take them!  And think of the fun I can have "supervising" when I send the kids out to get the eggs....crazy flapping chickens, screaming children...that's where magic happens people!  Although knowing Angie...she'll sweet talk them chickens and have them sitting quietly while she puts sassy nail polish and their tiny claws!  And if that doesn't work Rachel can wrestle them chickens into submission!!

I'm gonna have to seriously research this farm business...

I did say I needed to find a new challenge... YEEHAW!!

No comments:

Post a Comment