Wednesday, November 17, 2010

hindsight...and other Christmas disturbances.

I warned you!
I told you things would get bad if you didn't change your ways.  You've done nothing but make trouble for me from the moment we met.  Its been nothing but very short lived joy followed by guilt and years of disappointment.  I know I hold some of the fault too.  I should have been strong enough to walk away before, but you always manage to drag me back in.  You have no right to control my life this way.
Starting today I'm taking my life back! You hold no more power over me! I am a better woman without you and my life WILL be happier without you!

HOSTESS CUPCAKES I NEVER WANT TO SEE YOU AGAIN!!!!!!

At least until the holidays are over! :)

Its that time of the year again...although to be honest I've had a couple of years now to not deal with this. But now its that time again and the pressure will surely make me a little nuts from now until then!!

We are traveling "home" for Christmas...back to visit all our wonderful family in California.  Don't get me wrong, they really are wonderful...well, mostly...but I come from a wonderful Hispanic family.

Why would that cause stress? you ask

Well...many of you will understand from experience, but for those of you who don't...
My family is a rowdy bunch of people who love a good party with lots of good food and beverages.  So there's a lot of togetherness.

Now before I say this let me stress the fact that its all part of our crazy love...its hard to explain.

But...well not one event goes by with out the post-party recap and a few " my goodness, she sure has gained a lot of weight this year!"
Its comical to me...now that I'm not so self-conscious...but its inevitable.  You'll hear it after every gathering.

If fact, I have this aunt whom I haven't seen in many years now who used to great me EVERY TIME SHE SAW ME with "mija, que gordita estas!" ....or for those of you who are Spanish challenged..."honey, look how chubby you are!"  she would then, of course, follow it up by telling me I looked beautiful...but chubby! :)

There really is no hatefulness behind it...I think its some kind of weird cultural love thing. 
But you can see how this can make a girl stress out a little!  I mean I haven't been back a couple of years...so by comparison to then, I'm a couple of years older and the joys of middle age a couple of years more... established. 
Which brings me, like most other women in my position, to the "OH MY GOD! how can I lose 15 pounds in the next 3 weeks?  And clear up and de-wrinkle my face? And perk up...whatever needs perking?!!"

And since I tend to be a little OCD....well that brings us right back to my breakup with the evil Hostess Cupcake...and any other food I love that falls into that category! 

 I'd try that crazy Atkins diet...but I don't like steak THAT much...and quite frankly a couple of days of no carbs makes me slightly psychotic!  I really though I'd hit the motherload when that guy announced his awesome Twinkie diet...but well, that's just a little scary.  I mean...what if I try it and a week in find out I've gained like 10 pounds?  Then its really gonna hit the fan around here and I'd rather still be married after the holidays!

So...back to counting my calories, taking my vitamins and working out every day.  Which really is something I should have kept doing all along!!

To all my sisters and girl cousins...how bout we all make a pact to tell each other how freaking marvelous we look every time we see each other during the holidays?  That will at least mitigate the trauma of knowing the minute you walk out the door someone will mention how big/jiggly/saggy your butt looked on the way out!!!

Bring on the HOLIDAYS!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment