Tuesday, January 11, 2011

say what?!

Now I don't claim to be perfect...I know, you thought I was but I'm not...breathe slowly till the shock passes!  There are numerous things I don't know a darn thing about, (though even then, I will make an effort to sound like I know what I'm talking about).  There are things that I DO know about that I'm completely wrong on...obviously those are VERY few. 
There really is only one thing I can say with complete assurance and know I'm right and that is: if I've done it, I've screwed it up at least once!

You name it, I've messed it up.  I've been a great student and a drop out.  I've been a good friend and a horrible friend. I've been a good wife and a bad wife. I've been a great mom and a lousy mom.  I've been a hard worker and lazy couch potato. I've been very responsible and completely irresponsible financially. I've been completely broke and financially well off.  I've been on the straight and narrow and beat my way through the wilds off road....you get it, the list is endless.  While I can't claim to have lived a life of crime...I'm pretty sure I've skirted that felonious line a time or two (I'm not saying any more on that!).

So, to be told that I can't possible understand the plight of the poor folks who have made bad choices and are living the consequences thereof because I live in my comfortable home in a nice area of town and have enough money to not have to worry about it daily, kinda makes me chuckle.

To be told that I don't have enough empathy for those less fortunate than me because I have everything I need and don't understand what its like to not have it, kinda makes me shake my head.


I've noticed this strange dynamic as I've gotten older and seen more of life. It seems like people now are more willing to be defined by their mistakes than their achievements.  Like their mistakes are some sort of badge of courage.  You hear them talk about the things they've done wrong and have had to overcome with a sense of pride.  And the fact that they've lived a life full of bad choices and bad activities somehow makes them wiser or more experienced in life than you.  I personally know people who give their "testimony" and every time I hear it it's a little worse.  You know...they have done some pretty bad stuff, and yes they had drug problems and stuff, but by the time they've told their "story" a few times they are now the worst addict in existence and eat puppies for breakfast.  They're the "one-upper" of bad stories.  But God forbid you've managed to be successful or...horror of all horrors...become wealthy! Well then you're just an evil, greedy person who hates everyone!  Dropped out of high school, sold all your possessions and lost your family cause you were doing drugs and are now in recovery and trying to fix it...everyone is proud of you.  Worked your way to college and started your own business and are now the proud owner of a Fortune 500 company...you greedy, elitist corporate pig!

Call me crazy, mean and un-empathetic but I just don't get it!!

I refuse to join this new school of thought!!   I still plan to teach my kids that if they stay in school, work hard and make good choices, they too can be the proud owners of a successful company and make enough money to fully provide for their families, no government assistance required!  It might not make as good a story, but hey, the way things are going there will be more than enough people telling their stories to go around!

I'm sure I'm going to get a lot of "feedback" about this one.  My ears are burning already!!

5 comments:

  1. No..no..no, I TOTALLY agree with you. I myself do not understand how people can brag about the mistakes they have overcome in their lives and expect people to praise them for overcoming their demons.

    I myself have had a shitty past life which included drugs, verbal, physical and mental abuse...towards my children etc... but to 'BRAG' about overcoming it and moving on to a better life does not make me want to continue reminding people of it!

    NO MATTER HOW MANY YEARS ITS BEEN SINCE I TURNED MY LIFE AROUND, I STILL FEEL GUILTY AND EMBARRASSED BY IT! I DO NOT CONSIDER MY OVERCOMING THIS TRAGEDY AS AN ACCOMPLISHMENT, BECAUSE THAT SAME BEHAVIOR AFFECTED NOT JUST ME BUT MY ENTIRE FAMILY! What about their accomplishments of overcoming what I put them through? I compare it to a double sided razor blade, IT WASN'T JUST ABOUT MEEE!

    I totally back you in your teachings and beliefs... consider me one of your mean and un-empathetic followers!

    GREAT POST!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I often feel like I have to walk on eggshells around people, cause I don't usually follow the PC rules. There is somethings so powerful in overcoming a troubled past, I don't deny that, but I care more about who you are now, what you're doing now, how you're making life better now than who you were then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My testimony involves no rampant drug usage or demon-possession, but I do eat my fair share of puppies.

    -Levi

    ReplyDelete
  4. And THAT's why we love you Levi...always willing to speak the truth!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Exactly...Thats why its called a PAST!

    ReplyDelete