Tuesday, December 7, 2010

you don't say...

I just had to sit through an entire conversation with a delightful mother of a 5 month old who, in very clear and precise terms, explained to me why my parenting style was faulty.  She was just so sincere in her efforts to impart her wisdom. 

She shared with me that truly, if you must, at any point, resort to spanking your child, then you have obviously failed to parent that child properly!  Its tragic really how many parents just resort to the violence of spanking a child simply because they lack the will or ability to rationally solve any situation through talking, compromise and understanding.  She offered to help me find ways in which I could be a more constructive parent, like her.  Cause she understands how hard it is to overcome those bad habits you develop when you don't have good parenting skills.

Now I know what you're asking yourself right now....
"OH NO! Did Gina punch her right in the face?  Do we have to go bail Gina out?"

No my friends....no I didn't and no you don't. 
Sure I admit that at one point in my life...when I was less mature...that may have been a very likely choice for me.  Back then I might have either demonstrated the value of a physical expression of my displeasure or gifted her with a very expressive and lively monologue on my feelings about her opinion.

But that was then...today I sat there, very politely listening...well sorta listening, I was also going over my grocery list, my Christmas shopping list, my plans for out upcoming vacation, debating whether I should do the laundry today or not, considering the possible implications of travel at the speed of light...I nodded at all appropriate moments, quietly expressed my disagreement with her ideas, thanked her for her concern and her offer to assist me, wished her a good day and left.

And do you know why I was able to restrain my inner "oh no you di-int just say that to me!"?  Why, as I walked away, I had a smile on my face and a pep in my step?  Why, right at this moment as I'm typing this, I'm giggling just a little?

Cause I KNOW THINGS!  I know things she's never even considered! In her wonderful, rosy and clearly deluded...cause as a first-time mother of a 5month old she has NO idea ... little world she makes perfect sense to herself! She doesn't know what's coming.

 I, on the other hand, have lived this rodeo for 14 years.  That's why I was able to have this lovely conversation with her....secure in the knowledge that one day she WILL eat her words!  One day she too will be grinding her teeth, trying not to holler so loud the neighbors hear and spanking a cute, but naughty little butt.
Life has a way of making sure we learn those important lessons!
And as a mother, there is no more wonderful phrase than
" I told you so!"

    

3 comments:

  1. Oh Gina, you are my hero once again!

    How I just love to smile and wave women like that on. Just wait, they will have their turn. I just wish I could be a fly on the wall to see it when it happens. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha!! I'm just glad I know a lawyer in town ;)...just in case my past personality rears its ugly head!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG I love it! I was thinking back trying to remember if I was a know it all mother back when I had my son 14 yrs ago...hmmm lol you made me smile, keep em coming.

    ReplyDelete