Friday, October 29, 2010

Its the least I can do....

So I'm standing at the check out line at the local Walmart (got my fingers crossed hoping for no lead or other assorted poisons in my Chinese made goods!) when I hear these two lovely girls...in their early 20's... in line behind me in a deep, serious discussion.  They are earnestly talking about the serious decline in fresh water worldwide. 

I know...what a thing to talk about at a Walmart checkout line!  I mean I can see this discussion happening under the thought-provoking lighting at Starbucks while you cradle a cup made of recycled stuff and filled with some kind of fancy tea in your hand...but at Walmart?? What is this world coming to!!!

Anyway...I, very subtly, continue to eavesdrop on what they are saying.  Apparently they are very smart and are sharing what, to my clandestinely perked-up ears, sound like very solid facts about the lack of fresh water in most of the continents and how this is drastically affecting people, livestock and agriculture. (Did I mention they sounded VERY smart?)

So at this point I'm just finishing up paying for my stuff and before I can stop it...before my brain engages and says NOOOOOO!!!    My mouth perks right up and says...

"That's just terrible!  If only we could get those dang ice caps to melt a little faster there'd plenty of water!!

Those poor girls just looked at me like I was dragging dead baby polar bears behind my diesel truck! The poor checkout lady practically spit on me she laughed so hard at their expressions.

I figured this would be a good time to walk away so I wished them a nice day and rolled right out of there!!



P.S.  In repentance for my callousness I hereby promise to continue to support projects which supply fresh water to those who lack it.  Here are a couple of those charities, in case you laughed real hard and are feeling guilty....(yeah, you too Walmart checkout lady!)
http://thewaterproject.org/
http://purewaterfortheworld.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment