Tuesday, May 17, 2011

It can't possibly be harder...

Well...its been a while.  But I haven't really felt interesting enough to write lately.

And this one really is not for all of you...but for the few that find themselves where I am today.

I find myself on a leaky boat, with no paddle, trying to navigate the rough seas of adolescence...my kids', not my own!

And, as I'm sure countless parents have done before me,  once I've yelled, punished, spanked, cried, hollered some more, and pulled out some hair (mostly, but not all, mine) I'm finally exhausted and begging God to help me. 

My prayers are simple.  Easy-peasy for the Creator of the Universe.  Fix me! Fix my kid! Fix our relationship!  I believe in miracles...surely You can make it so when the child comes home he will be open to my guidance and willing to follow it cause it's best for him and I will be a calm, patient, understanding parent with the right words!!  I mean...really...after the Red Sea and all, its not too much to ask?!

But that's not what I got. 

What I got is a God who answered, "I know. I know how hard it is to watch your child go through something hard and painful and confusing.  I know how hard it is to hear your child ask you to fix it, but know you can't because it's for the best that they go through it. I know.  Focus on the goal, not the bumps on the road"

As hard as it might be to deal with a kid who wont talk to you and stomps around cause he's grounded...again...God sure can put it all in the proper perspective! 

No comments:

Post a Comment